Monday, April 4, 2011

Pickles. Just sayin..

Pickles are high in fiber, which is healthy for the digestive track and helps prevent cancer. 
Pickles contain antioxidants and depending on the vegetable, are a great source of calcium, magnesium, and iron. 
When pickles are fermented, lactic acid is created which helps to lower fat in the bloodstream, improve circulation, and lower blood pressure. 
It has been found that eating fermented products regularly resulted in lower rates of skin problems, asthma, and auto-immune disorders. 
Vinegar, which is used in the pickling process is known to boost the immune system, ease digestive disorders, and can break down calcium deposits in a person's joints. Vinegar is also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. (You've all heard of the vinegar & weight loss thing I'm sure?)

Cucumber pickles contain only five calories, and it takes a bit more than that to digest them. (can you say negative calorie food?! <3)

Method:
INGREDIENTS:
Celery - 1 bunch
Lemon - 1/2 sliced
Bay leafs - 2
Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
Water - 6 cups
White vinegar - 1 1/2 cups (with 3/4 cup of water)
Garlic - 3 cloves
Hot pepper flakes - 1/2 teaspoon
Black peppercorns - 10 to 12
Sugar - 2 teaspoon
Salt
I suggest omitting the sugar, I took out any pepper, I hate pepper :/ & added a few shakes of onion powder & extra garlic cause I looooove garlic!
DIRECTIONS:
Cut celery into 2 or 3 inch sections that's about 1/2 inch wide, enough to fill your jar.
Boil the water, bay leaves, lemon slices, and 1 teaspoon salt in a pot
Add in the celery and boil it for no more than 2 minutes. Then take out the celery and let it cool.
Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1tbsp sugar, garlic, hot pepper flakes, mustard seeds, and black peppercorns into the jar.
Add the celery to the jar, and add in the vinegar and water. Seal the jar, and shake well. Refrigerate for several days (I'd say a week) before snacking on them.

Yay celery! I tried pickling some carrots because I don't have celery right now T.T I'll tell you how they turn out in a few days when I open the jar and try them, they sure smelled nasty when I put them in.. I've read some thing though that say that happens and it'll go away & just start smelling like pickles by the time they're ready to eat. I hope so!
I also ordered some wrist weights from Banglz.com, can't wait to get those!

2 comments:

  1. Perfect pickle post timing (haha alliteration), today I got acupuncture and the acupuncturist recommended me to eat pickles because apparently they also have the ability to move my "liver energy" around. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yargh, I hate pickles but this post is going to make me stop being a wimp and learn to like them. Damn you super foods! Maybe I'll ask my dad to pickle some for me to eat. I only want to eat the ones he makes.

    ReplyDelete