Friday, April 22, 2011

I made a pie!

I decided I needed to test the recipe before I made it for matty. It's sweetened mostly with stevia (only sugars come from the milk & peanut butter) & has a lot of protein and good fats, I'm not comfortable eating even a little of this though, so much cream >.< I decided I'm going to take out half the cream and replace it with peanut butter. Still high in fat, but at least it's all good fat which I already know I don't get enough of and not so much sat fat.
And anyway, I tasted a fingerfull before I put it in and I don't think its at all peanut buttery enough. The crust is great, whole wheat flower & rolled oats.
Crust: 2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup barley or whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon stevia (I added a whole one because my fam likes things sweet)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp water
Combine all & stir, set aside five min to let oats soften (preheat oven nowish to 350). Press dough evenly over bottom & sides of pie dish & bake in preheated oven for 12-15 min, till lightly browned. Can also fill & then bake (but not for my recipe)
Filling:
1 1/4 teaspoon stevia
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (full cup for mine)
1 cup whipping cream (half cup for mine)
2 tbsp unsalted dry roast peanuts, crushed
Using a double boiler, dissolve 1 tsp stevia & cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Beat in eggs and milk, place over boiling water & reduce heat to medium. Cook & stir till thick, cool ten min. Stir in teaspoon vanilla & cup peanut butter & cool to room temp.
Beat cream, 1/4 tsp stevia, and 1/4 tsp vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold into pie filling & turn into baked pie shell, sprinkle with crushed peanuts and chill for several hours.
Lax yesterday & 90.2 today! (after I rehydrate myself, happiness!)
My lips look funny xD I think I was chewing
Since I feel like I already ate too much today, but I want to eat, I made myself this little salad thing. One chopped up cellery stalk, two thin sliced cherry tomatoes, one thin sliced pickle, a tbsp spaghetti sauce and a sprinkle of garlic and onion powder. It was pretty yummy & along with a glass of water filled me up nicely.

This weekends fast is going to be difficult.. I think I should make a few buckets of tea in advance. Maybe with some of my orange powder stuffs. Off to do that! Good luck with avoiding the easter binges my lovelys!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! Both the pie & salad look delicious! I have only 8 pounds to go before I'm 90!. I'm so inspired by you! Keep up the amazing work, xo A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omnomnom cherry tomatoes! I need to go buy me some Stevia, brb! XD

    Ugh, the problem with my neighbourhood is nobody has lawns for me to mow. The landords concrete them over to save on property maintenance. Cheapskates! D:

    I hope he enjoys the pie <3

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks tasty (^o^)
    I hope he likes it!

    Good luck with your fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the pie and your little salad look great! I love backing sweets, they're so much fun! :) It's amazing how just a little tiny salad with water is all you need to feel you up! Best luck on your weekend fast & you're right, let's try to aboid those Easter binges! Chocolate = weakness for sure :/

    ReplyDelete