Friday, December 17, 2010

BYE BYE 'POO~!

I have a bunch of things typed up that I never posted for some reason, I'm ganna start getting a few of those out. After this one that's actually from today.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a freak about my hair, it's the one thing on me I actually really like, so naturaly I'm worried about it all the time now. I always hear/read about how terrible shampoo is for your hair and the only ones anybody ever seems to say are good, also cost a ton. Lately I decided (why didn't I sooner?? >.< no idea) I aught to look for alternatives that I could use. I found (first link) this baking soda mixture as a replacement for shampoo and (second link) a bunch of things proclaming olive oil works great for helping hair be alastic & stuffs and not break and generaly be more healthy (affects the scalp somehow too, yeah I read it and it sounds great but I'm not really.. good at.. uhm.. words.. right now). So I'ma try this stuffs and try to remember to tell you how it works out.

I took out the important parts incase you're on a phone, interested, & these links don't work.


http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/
"Baking soda works wonders on hair, along with it's other many household helps. It's gentle, it's the weakest alkaline, and it very gently clarifies hair from chemical buildup.

Like many natural cleaners, the recipe isn't static - it can be tweaked to suit your needs. The standard amount for hair is one tablespoon baking soda to one cup of water. Those with thicker or curly hair might need more baking soda and those with thin/fine hair might need less. Experiment and see what works for you.

I use a simple 8-ounce squeeze bottle, pour in a tablespoon of baking soda with a funnel, then fill up the rest with water from the kitchen sink. I give it a good shake to dissolve the baking soda, and it’s ready to be used.

In the shower, I soak my hair with water, then I squeeze a bit of the baking soda mixture on my scalp, starting at the crown. I massage it in as I go, squeezing a bit more here and there, concentrating mostly on the scalp. I include my hair as well, but since most of the oils originate from the scalp itself, the hair will naturally get cleaned once the scalp is clarified.

After a few minutes, I rinse it out, just like I would shampoo.

For my husband and I combined, this amount will last us about a week or week and a half. He has fairly short hair, and mine is just below my ears."

(I'ma ganna add some herbs or somethin to make it smell a little better... this stuff is kinda bland, as I'm sure you can imagine)

http://hair.lovetoknow.com/Is_Olive_Oil_Good_for_Hair

" 1. In a microwave safe bowl, heat one quarter cup of olive oil for up to one minute. Be careful handling oil, it may be hot! (I read something else that says don't try to use it until its cool enough for you to leave a finger in it for five seconds.. that's probably a good idea, scorching your scalp won't help anything!)

2. Gently pour olive oil over the hair while in the bathtub or shower. (that sounds.. messy.. I'll use my hands/a brush, thanks)

3. Work oil from scalp to ends and comb through with a wide tooth comb.

4. Pin hair up onto top of head and wrap in a terrycloth towel or shower cap.

5. Relax and let olive oil soak for a maximum of thirty minutes.

6. After allowing treatment time to penetrate, rinse hair thoroughly. "

(7 says to shampoo after, you can if you wanna, I'm ganna try the baking soda thing though)

Types to Use

There are three type of olive oil: virgin, extra virgin, and pure. These types are based on the olive's first, second, and third press to excrete oil. The first press is extra virgin olive oil, and is generally the tastiest and most expensive. For hair treatments, pure olive oil will do the trick. (yay I don't have to try and talk parents into buying the expensive stuff!)

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting indeed! Love, love love olive oil!

    Pointless info: I have fine hair, but a goodly amount of it. It's exceedingly greasy! (genetic) I wash and condition it every day with Pantene Full Spectrum Shine. I can't stand the smell of my hair if I haven't washed it and after two days without washing, my scalp itches terribly.

    I always get compliments about my hair, it's also the one thing on me I actually like. It's always soft and shiny, despite washing it every day and my hairdresser says if you have a shampoo that leaves your hair and scalp looking and feeling great, use it and use it every day, by all means, no matter if it's cheap or expensive. Never fuck with a winning formula!

    Herbal rinses: I'm big on herbal remedies, here are some simple rinses to bring out the best in all hair colours.

    Rosemary rinse for brunettes: Pour a cup of boiling water on 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped rosemary. Steep for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and pour over washed hair. Squeeze out excess and dry as normal.

    Chamomile rinse for blondes: Pour a cup of boiling water over a chamomile tea bag. Let steep for 20 minutes and repeat as above.

    Black tea rinse for redheads: Repeat as above.

    Hope you are well. Have a great weekend. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing stuff like this! I have an afro and I'm always scared I'm going to damage it so I try to stay with the most gentle products. Lemon juice or Apple Cider Vinegar are also good cleansing alternatives. Along with the warm olive oil I like to mix in honey, yogurt, and an egg {for protein}. Have fun with your experimentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried SO many holistic treatments on my hair it isn't even funny. Eggs to get it soft, apple cider to get rid of shampoo residue, talcum powder to get it less oily. Nothing works :(
    My hair is crap.

    And I'm praying for your grandfather <3
    I'm sure he'll pull through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww thank you for the excerpts :)
    Baking soda rocks. I have uber oily hair and havee mixed baking soda in my shampoo before. Never thought to use baking soda alone hmmm. I use baking soda on my teeth sometimes so why did I never try it on my hair?
    I've done apple cider vinegar rinses too. And I liiiiike. A vinegar rinse followed by a deep conditioner just on the ends. Good prep for hair color.
    Ack I wanna color my hair! But so tired! Going back to work again in less than an hour. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete